July 4th is right around the corner and it is time to make plans. Last year the 4th was on Friday, which is good. This year it is on a Saturday, which is even better. There will be many events going on that day and we will have a large list the Thursday before. But for now, here are a few possibilities:
First time to the Pipeline? Read more about us here: Pipeline Posse
Also, check out our guide to Portland Happy Hours, Bars, Food & More
- July 4: Where to Watch Fireworks on July Fourth in Portland | Many Suggestions
- 75+ Portland Weekend Events & Parties + Free Tickets | July 2-5
- July Concerts in the Park: Portland Summer Concert Series (2009)
- 2009 Portland Blues Festival: The Blues Cruise (Video)
- Portland Blues Festival: Big Sam’s Funky Nation and: Bonerama, Storm Large, March Fourth Marching Band, Harmonica Blow-Off, and a lot more…full list here. Portland Blues Festival Cruise info here but sold out on July 4 :(
- Watch fireworks at Oaks Park: Annual 4th of July Celebration. Gates open at 10 am, rides start at noon. All picnic spaces are first come first serve. Gate fee is $4.00 for 16 and over, $2.50 for 15 and younger. All personal fireworks and alcohol are prohibited (bags and coolers will be checked). Ride bracelets valid all day… stay and play from noon to midnight! Live entertainment on the Comcast Stage throughout the day. Fireworks begin at 9:55 pm.
- Portland Beavers vs Colorado Springs Sky Sox Independence Day Celebration @PGE park:The first 1903 fans will receive a Patriotic Hat presented by PGE.
- July 4th night of influential electronica at Berbati’s Pan with TIPPER: Other musical guests are saQi, performing with members of the Marchfourth Marching Band and Danny Corn. There will also be a live digital video performance during the show.
- Vampire Baseball with cast of Twilight @ PGE park: Vampire Baseball™ played by cast and crew of the Twilight movies. July 4th evening of Portland Beavers’ professional baseball and fireworks. Actors scheduled to appear: Rachelle Lefevre, Peter Facinelli, Edi Gathegi, Michael Welch, Solomon Trimble, Christian Serratos, Ayanna Berkshire, Catherine Grimme, Alex Meraz, Kiowa Gordon (more info)
- Goodfoot with DJ Magneto: If you read Pipeline enough, you know I am a fan of Manny/Magneto. He only flies in once a month & always puts on a great show. For Fourth of July, he is going the extra mile. He sent me this message about it:
FROM DJ MAGNETO On Saturday 4th of july ’09 we’ll be mashing up the sounds like gumbo, perfect for a post-fireworx celebration. and in the spirit of the variety of cultures the US hosts we will be partying to the sounds of the dopest dance music from every corner of the world. Dj E3, a well versed selector with heavy eastern influences, myself with the afro/latin joints and our boy Standing 8 are the selectors of the night. E3 has been in the mix with the international sound since before his record label BSI records, he currently is a resident at Atlas as well as ongoing appearances at Various where the dub flows heavy.
Dj Magneto’s, that’s me… well, i like to fiesta it up… everything from salsa remixes to original mambo to dancehall cumbia blends. it’s basically just a party.
here’s what it sound like
ANDFIESTA SAFARI THE MIX
And our bwoy Standing 8 will follow suit
- Watch Fireworks in Vancouver, Washington: (apparently not happening this year) Better known as the Fort Vancouver fireworks festival, this is the largest fireworks display in the area and one of the largest fireworks displays west of the Mississippi. The event actually kicks of the day before with a outdoor showing of Happy Feet at dusk. On the 4th there is a pancake breakfast followed by entertainment, a carnival and food vendors, a blood drive and a kids play area. The Fort Vancouver National Historic Site and Pearson Air Museum are also open for an interesting educational experience. The fireworks display is a 30 minute show and is accompanied by live music. The show starts at 10:10 PM.
- From PDXFoodPress: Salty’s on the Columbia will offer a special BBQ buffet on Saturday, July 4th from 12pm to 5pm. Cost for the buffet is $26.95. In the summer, there is no better place to enjoy the outdoors than from Salty’s decks overlooking the Columbia River. All guests will receive complimentary sparklers to light and enjoy on the decks. If you have a picnic planned, or are hosting your own July 4th festivities, the buffet is also available to-go. For those wishing to take the BBQ home, items will be offered for $8.95 per pound.
- Doug Fir Concert: Afro-Cuban roots reggae from all-star collective Culver City Dub Collective (Jack Johnson’s Band), more info dougfir
These are from the large list we put on the site every Thursday. You can find Thursday – Sunday here: 75+ Portland Weekend Events & Parties + Free Tickets | July 2-5
- 4th of July on the Waterfront @ Tom McCall Park (fireworks!)
- Rooftop CD Release Party @ Salmon St. Studios (tons of hip hop artists and a waterfront view of the fireworks)
- Cory O And King Fader @ The Crown Room (4th o’ July Dance Party)
- Tipper w/ Danny Corn and Saqi @ Berbatis (glitch, hip hop, electro beats)
- Tipper After Party @ Center Space w/Tyler Tastemaker and Govinda! (Future Blap/Triphop)
- Casual Encounters w/ DJ Automaton @ Rotture (dirty jams and fireworks)
- DJ MAGNETO & Dj E3 @ Goodfoot Lounge
- Let’s Smurph w/ DJ Nealie Neal @ Eastburn (funk, soul, rare gems)
- Portland Beavers vs Colorado Springs @ PGE Park (baseball and fireworks … throw in Apple Pie and you can’t get more American than that)
- Clarklewis 4th of July Party @ Clarklewis (food, fireworks, drinks)
- Dirty Projectors @ Holocene (abstract rock)
- Blues Festival @ Waterfront Park (bands!! Food drive!!)
- Culver City Dub Collective @ Doug Fir (reggae jazz)
- Dragon Moon Festival @ Chinatown (Chinese culture, music, art and performances)
- 4th Feast in NE @ Irving Park (cookout, fireworks, wiffle ball)
- Afuera 3 @ Secret Location (4th of July rave in the woods)
- MC Escher Exhibit @ Portland Art Museum (art art art)
- Various @ Branx (dubstep)
- Breakfast Mountain @ Potato Champion (concert and poutin from the popular food cart)
- After Dark @ Groove Suite (electro dance)
- Mr. MuMu, DJ Mani and Dun Diggy @ Saucebox (hip hop, electro, dubstep)
- Demetre Baca @ Pala (house)
- DJ Hostile Tapeover @ Valentine’s (old school hip hop cassettes)
Bend Pet Parade? JazzFest?
Shaking my fist at the sky and cursing the loud fireworks.